That's how I found out about the upcoming, first ever DC State Fair.
The DC State Fair is scheduled for August 28th, 2010 at the Tubman Elementary Field (11th and Irving Streets NW) as part of the Columbia Heights Day Festival, which runs from 10am - 6pm.
The idea for the DC State Fair was planted by local blogger Amelia Showalter (Gradually Greener) back in 2009 when she was lamenting the lack of a DC area fair that would allow local gardeners and bakers to show off their home-grown and home-made goodies and compete for prizes. Fellow bloggers Jenna Huntsberger (Modern Domestic) and Ken Moore (The Indoor Garden(er)) helped to nurture Amelia's idea and keep it growing and now its ready to bloom!
If you love home gardening, community gardening, baking or canning AND you live in DC, you can enter one of the great contests and compete for one of the fun prizes. DEADLINES are fast approaching for many of the categories.
Here is a list of some of the fun contests, sponsors and prizes:
- Cupcake Contest (sponsored by Treet) – Deadline: August 25
- Best Home-Made Pie (sponsored by Fat Man After Dark) – Deadline: August 25
- Tastiest Tomato (sponsored by Glittarazzi) – Deadline: August 28
- Biggest Vegetable (General) (sponsored by Washington Gardener magazine) – Deadline: August 28
- Biggest Vegetable (Container Gardens Only) (sponsored by Washington Gardener magazine) – Deadline: August 28
- Funkiest-Looking Vegetable (sponsored by Soupergirl) – Deadline: August 28
- Home-Made Jam Contest (sponsored by the DC Rollergirls) – Deadline: August 26
- Home-Made Pickles Contest (sponsored by Glittarazzi) – Deadline: August 26
- DC Homebrew Contest (sponsored by The Black Squirrel) – Deadline: August 23
- DC Photo Contest (sponsored by Ten Miles Square) – Deadline: August 22