I'm almost done increasing the size of my front garden. During one of my rest breaks, I came in and did a quick internet search to find an online mulch calculator. Plenty of them showed up in my search, but I decided to share the one that I found on 1-800-Mulch-Pro, just because they have a lot of other great information about mulch on their website.
For instance, this is what their website says about the benefits of mulch:
What is Mulch used for?They have some good photos of the different types of mulch and the mulch calculator page has some nice diagrams of how to measure your garden.
- Mulch prevents weeds from growing.
- Mulch will maintain an even temperature in the soil. Warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- Mulch protects the soil from soil erosion.
- Mulch will conserve moisture.
- Mulch provides a clean surface for accessing the garden.
- Mulch can make a garden look neat and finished.
I've never purchased anything from mulch pro (and, in fact, I never heard of them before this morning's search). But their website looks like a great resource!
While writing this post, I realized that I forgot to add "Use Mulch" as one of the options in this month's survey about ways to conserve water. (Whoops!) But why not take a moment and answer the survey anyway! It's in the right hand column of this blog. I promise I'll add that option in future surveys.