I saw an article online the other day called Garden with the Greatest Rock Band. In it, the writer compares gardening to many Rolling Stone songs, including “Under My Thumb”, “Gimme Shelter”, “Start Me Up”, and others.
The opening line says: “As we head into April, let us be thankful for many things: warm days, cheerful flowers and the 50th anniversary of the Rolling Stones rock band.”
It’s a cute article. Here’s the link if you want to check it out.
Anyway, it got me thinking about gardening songs and I thought I would try to come up with a list of songs about gardening, or with titles that relate to gardening. I had a heck of a time and only came up with about ten on my own. So I asked some of my online friends, who came up with a few more.
So, in honor of Earth Month and our upcoming Earth Day, I thought I would ask the rest of my readers for suggestions of songs to add to an Earth Month Playlist. My original request was for songs with garden-themed titles, but I’m open to anything that reminds you of gardening or nature.
I’ve linked some of them to YouTube videos, so if you want to start your day with a smile, check out a few of them. The Sound of Sunshine (a song I had never heard before – thanks Shannon) is sure to bring a smile to your face and Tiptoe through the Tulips will probably make you LOL.
Rock (and not so rock) Songs for the Garden
- Ants Marching – Dave Matthews
- Blackbird (Singing in the Dead of Night) – The Beatles
- Diggin’ in the Dirt – Peter Gabriel
- Garden Party – by Ricky Nelson
- Garden Song (Inch by Inch) – John Denver and Others
- Grazin’ in the Grass – Friends of Distinction
- Hummingbird – Leon Russell
- I Never Promised You a Rose Garden – Lynne Anderson
- In a Gadda da Vida (My friend Kathy told me it was supposed to be named In the Garden of Eden)
- Johnny’s Garden - Steven Stills
- Kiss From a Rose – Seal
- Let it Grow – Eric Clapton
- Nothing But Flowers – Talking Heads
- Octopus’s Garden – Ringo Starr / the Beatles
- Orange Blossom Special – Roy Clark
- Poison Ivy – The Coasters
- Red Roses for a Blue Lady – Pat Boone
- Red, red robin goes bob bob bobbin’ along – follow link for cute video
- Rockin’ Robin – the Muppets (haha)
- Sunshine on my Shoulder – John Denver
- The Hanging Garden – the Cure
- The Rose – Bette Midler
- The Sound of Sunshine – Michael Franti and Spearhead
- Three Little Birds – Bob Marley (Connie Talbot version linked)
- Tiptoe Through the Tulips – Tiny Tim
- Walkin’ on Sunshine – Katrina and the Waves
- Where Have all the Flowers Gone – Peter, Paul and Mary
- Yellow Rose of Texas – Gene Autrey
- You are My Sunshine – Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash
- You are the Sunshine of My Life – Stevie Wonder